Sunday 16 September 2012

15th September 2012

My last day and only the chance of a quick dash around the reserve. Sa Roca was disappointing with most birds distant and difficult viewing conditions in very bright sun. From Es Cibollar I hide a Spotted Redshank was showing well and I was pleased to add a final tick to the trip list. I moved on to the second hide and found another 2 Spotshanks but just as I was about to leave a raptor flew distantly past, but close enough to identify another of my target species of the trip - Booted Eagle. Distance and heat haze account for the awful photo!
I recorded a total of 74 species during the week which is pretty good but I suspect the choice of DSLR over scope cost me several more. I was disappointed not to connect with Thekla Lark and surprised not to find any Red-crested Pochard which I understand to be common at S'albufera. If I go back to Mallorca I will definitely hire a car so that I can carry both DSLR and scope, not to mention avoid any loose dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment