Sunday 16 September 2012

12th September 2012

The only day of the trip when I didn't visit S'albufera as in the morning I decided to investigate Depuradora. Actually very close to the hotel in distance, to get to the site required a cycle ride down the main road to C'an Picafort then back up a minor road to Depuradora. Along this road Dave Gosney's guide suggests looking out for Thekla Lark, Tawny Pipit and Short-toed Lark. In fact the only new bird I encountered was a rather shabby Ostrich which I suspect is not tickable! This bit of road was very reminiscent to me of birdwatching by bike in Greece - every house has a guard dog which charges at you as you cycle past, praying the fence is strong and high enough! About half way to Depuradora I gave up and turned back when I saw a large dog wandering loose on the road in front of me - you car drivers don't know how easy you have it!

In the afternoon we'd decided to take a boat trip around Cap de Formentor. The boat was absolutely packed but as we were amongst the first to board we'd managed to get excellent seats. The boat hugged the coastline as it picked up passengers from various stops in Alcudia. A couple of Audouin's Gulls flew over but several Shags in the sea and perched on a buouy were the first new birds of the trip.






Both shearwaters put in an appearance next with a single Balearic on the sea close to the boat - unfortunately I was in the middle of changing lenses and missed the opportunity! I was luckier with Cory's with 1 flying close enough to the boat for me to get a picture.





Of course Cap de Formentor is best known for breeding Eleanora's Falcons and we were treated to a great display of at least 15 birds flying high on the cliffs. Most photos therefore are of distant birds in silhouette but one or two came close enough to get a bit of detail.



No comments:

Post a Comment